Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fondant Rose


 

The "fondant rose", oh how those two words make my stomach churn.   For some reason, I have always failed miserably at making it,  I think I'm probably the only cake decorator in the world who couldn't make one.  Well, now I can say, I am officially part of the cake decorator community, because I can make a fondant rose, and a pretty good one too.  I took the Wilton classes and they taught the Wilton fondant rose with the pink little rose cutter.  I tried really hard to make that rose, but for some reason my petals kept breaking or the fondant was too sticky or I thinned the fondant too much.  Needless to say, the cake I was instructed to decorate with fondant roses (the Final Cake on my blog) was not decorated with roses, but the royal icing lilies, which were so much easier.  So the key to my success in the fondant rose was this website that I found today.  It had such a simple tutorial for the rose and the best part, no cookie cutter or ball fondant tool needed (whatever that thing is called).  It took about 20 minutes to make the rose, but I bet next time will be faster since I know what to do.  For those of you like me, who struggle with this staple of cake decorating, here is a little tutorial so I hope this helps ease your fears.  Now this rose is not nearly as beautiful as the ones we were blessed with from our Creator, but this will help you make a really gorgeous fondant one. 


Step One: The Center

Knead food coloring into fondant to achieve the desired shade. Pinch off a small amount (diameter approximately the size of a quarter) and roll into a ball in the palm of the hands. Pinch the ball until it forms a teardrop shape. Set teardrop aside. 

Step Two: Create Petals

Pinch off another similarly sized chunk of fondant and again roll into a ball between the palms. Place the ball on a lightly greased surface, and use fingers to pat the ball into a flat disk. Use fingers to flatten and thin the edge on one half of the disk. Don't worry about getting the edges thin the entire way around, only the top half needs to be thinned. Don't worry about making the edge of the petal paper thin and completely realistic. Fondant needs to be a little thicker than a real rose petal. It still looks very realistic and beautiful, but if a perfectly realistic rose is desired, make a gumpaste rose. 

Step Three: Apply the First Petal

Wrap the first petal around the teardrop shaped center, pressing lightly at the base so the petal stays in place. Don't worry about attaching it perfectly at this point, just get it to stay in place reasonably well. 

Step Four: The Next Petal

Make a second petal and add it to the rosebud. Place it opposite of the first petal. Only make and then add one petal at a time. If more than one petal is made at a time, the petals may dry out too much and crack before they can be applied. 


Read more at Suite101: How to Make a Fondant Rose: Make Elegant Rose Decorations for Cakes http://baking-decorating-cakes.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_a_fondant_rose#ixzz0emheDk8M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background