Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pink and Brown Birthday



This was a birthday cake for one of my best friend's birthday.  She picked out a picture of a cake and then I attempted to duplicate it, but modified it a little.  She absolutely loved the cake and I know it must have tasted fabulous.  The cake was our moist yellow cake, filled with fluffy buttercream, and covered in marshmallow fondant.  This turned out to be such a beautiful cake and I am so honored to have made this fantastic creation for my friend's birthday.

I used the Wilton colors (rose pink and brown) to color the fondant and gum paste.  For the stars I used gum paste, which I was able to find at Walmart.  I bought a set of star cutouts from Michaels and used the middle size star, which was the perfect size for this cake.  So I just cut them, used some thin stainless steel wire (can be purchased from a hardware store), and then set them our for 24 hours to harden.  The circle cookie cutter was also purchased in a set at Michaels; the pearls around the base of each tier were fondant that I just rolled into a little balls.  The stripes on the top layer were measured at 1 inch for the light pink, 1/2 inch for the bright pink, and 1 cm for the brown.  There was approximately 1 1/2 inches of space between the brown the pink stripes, which turned out to be the perfect amount of spacing for a 6 inch round cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background