Friday, November 20, 2009

Gymnastics Cake


  


This cake was made for a friend at work for his friend's daughter.  The cake was our yummy moist chocolate cake with our light fluffy buttercream.  The cake was covered in our homemade marshmallow fondant and the stars and gymnast were made of gum paste.

I purchased gumpaste at Michaels and then used basic Wilton coloring (purple, golden yellow for her hair, and copper for the skin).  I first started molding the legs because I wanted them to look exactly correct.  I then let them dry for several days to harden, then I started molding the body separately.  To support the body, I tapes three pieces of thin wire together.  Before the body hardened, I slid it on the wire and let it stand up to harden properly using a floral block.  The arms and head were also made separately; to make the hair, I rolled out yellow gum paste, cut it into thin strips, and then rolled them between my fingertips.   To glue the head together I used a small paint brush and water.  You can even mix equal parts water and meringue powder.  After everything hardened it was easy to glue the body pieces together.  To hide the seams I rolled small pieces of purple gum paste around the arms and neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background